Thursday, October 11, 2007

guernica

It really bugs me how many times a day I get asked "what does your tattoo say?" If I wanted everyone and their mom to read it clearly I would've chosen a bigger font and a more noticable location. I mean I realize when I wear short sleeves you can see it, but please don't pick up my arm for me so you can read it. And once people read it they get this weird look on their faces, and it's almost like they feel sorry for me. The best part of what has happened was the part I must have missed. No, I wasn't drunk when I got it. No, I don't hate my life. Yes, it does have a deeper meaning to me, but that's why it's on MY body not yours.

The song is about death, and not being able to stop it, but it's somehow supposed to be okay.

When I was little my grandpa died, and it was the hardest thing I had ever been through. He was like my best friend and his death was the first one I ever dealt with. He was a heavy smoker and died from lung cancer. And when I first heard that song and listened to what he was saying, I felt that all over again. I knew what he was going through, and I felt like he was able to put into words exactly how I felt. It was comforting.

This lady that asked to read my arm tonight said to me, "the best is yet to come" and something about there being better days. But it's not life that I'm worried about, I've just missed the best part about death.

No comments: